How to match the Colors - Color Combination technique
Mis à jour : 13 nov. 2020
Among the different techniques to match colors, some of you might find it daunting to use Colorimetry and Color Wheel techniques on a daily basis. For those of you, I can recommend this third technique using different color combinations.
What are the neutral colors?
Neutral colors are born from the addition of a primary color with its complementary color. For example: magenta + green = brown.
Beige, grey or all their shades mixed together or with white or black are also considered as neutral colors.
- Light neutral colors: white, cream, beige, grey, nude, camel. Metallic colors and animal prints are also attached to light neutrals.
- Dark neutral colors: anthracite grey, navy blue, brown. We also reattach the color denim and black in dark neutrals (although black is not a color).
Points to note:
- Black is the absence of reflected light from an object, white is the sum of all lights of all colors. White and black in their original sense are therefore not colors.
- White increases the intensity and black decreases it and therefore moderates a very strong or very colorful style.
Two possibilities with neutrals:
- Combine neutral colors with each other. Neutral colors all work together with two exceptions: black + brown and black + navy blue which give a rather dull result. For the other neutrals, you will never commit a bad taste by matching them with each other. This first step will give you confidence if you are uncomfortable with colors. You can play with contrasts by mixing light neutral colors with dark ones or you can opt for softness by mixing light neutral colors with each other.
- Combine one color (any) with two neutral colors: Neutral colors help calm strong colors down. The chosen color will be highlighted by the neutrals. Whenever possible, avoid the dark. Black make the colors harder. Replace it as soon as possible with dark blue or navy blue which will soften the color combination.
A rule to follow: start with a light color top and then blend the darker colors on the outside (for the jacket for example). You can give a boost to your outfit made of neutral shades by adding a touch of strong color with a colorful accessory: shoes, bag, scarf, belt, nail polish ...
I also remind you of some main principles for associating the colors harmoniously:
- Wear a maximum of 3 colors: this rule can only be broken when you really master the colors. As long as you haven't reached expert level, you respect this rule.
- Wear light colors that will illuminate the face rather at the top and dark shades that slim down, at the bottom. If you're still wearing dark at the top, accessorize with a bright necklace or a light or bright scarf.
- If you're wearing colorful pants, pair them with a neutral top. Be careful with colored pants, they tend to shrink the figure and draw attention to themselves.
- Finally if you do not dare to approach color, start with technique n ° 3 by gradually including very colorful and very bright accessories into your look: red belt, yellow bag, orange scarf etc ... It will be a good start!
To make life easier for you, below are several examples of color combinations that work well:
- Beige + candy pink or emerald green or navy blue or purple
- Light brown + pale yellow or cream or blue or green or red
- Dark brown + lemon yellow or light blue
- Pink + brown, sea green or khaki or heather gray or white
- Cherry red + blue or heather gray or pale yellow
- Orange + heather gray or emerald green or brown or purple
- Lemon yellow + cherry red or blue or heather grey
- Emerald green + light brown or beige or navy blue
- Aqua green + brown or grey or navy blue or red or beige
- Turquoise + fuchsia or cherry red or beige or brown or cream
- Klein blue + gold or beige or light brown or gray or silver tones
- Navy blue + beige or grey or yellow or orange or green or fuchsia or camel
- Purple + beige or light yellow or grey or turquoise or sea green
COLOR COMBINATIONS FOR WINTER:
- Mustard + fuchsia pink, navy blue
- Heather grey + camel
- Emerald green + burgundy, heather grey, gold
- Khaki + powder pink
- White + heather gray, camel, powder pink, cream
- Pastel pink + heather grey, camel
- Gold + navy blue, orange, brown, teal blue, emerald green, pale pink, black
- Silver + navy blue, heather grey, white, red
- Monochrome white
COMBINATION OF PASTEL COLORS: WITH WHICH COLORS TO MIX PASTEL SHADES?
- Heather gray
- Navy blue
- Denim color
- Leopard prints
- other pastels for a pastel shade
BRIGHT COLORS COMBINATION: HOW TO MIX BRIGHT COLORS BETWEEN THEM?
- blue + orange
- orange + fuchsia
- purple + yellow
- blue + yellow
- green + red
- pink + yellow
- green + blue
COMBINATIONS OF INDIVIDUAL COLOURS
- White: combines with everything, especially blue, red and black.
- Beige: combines with blue, brown, emerald, black, red, white
- Grey: combines with fuchsia, red, violet, pink, blue.
- Pink: combines with brown, white, mint green, olive, gray, turquoise, light blue.
- Fuchsia: combines with gray, yellow, brown, lime, mint green
- Red: combines with yellow, white, fulvous, green, blue, black.
- Tomato-red: combines with cyan, mint green, sand, creamy-white, gray.
- Cherry-red: combines with azure, gray, light-orange, sandy, pale-yellow, beige.
- Raspberry-red: combines with white, black
- Brown: combines with bright-cyan, cream, pink, fawn, green, beige.
- Light-brown: combines with pale-yellow, cream-white, blue, green, purple, red.
- Dark-brown: combines with lime-yellow, cyan, mint green, purple-pink, lime.
- Reddish-brown: combines with pink, dark-brown, blue, green, purple
- Orange: combines with cyan, blue, lilac, violet, white, black
- Light-orange: combines with grey, brown, olive
- Dark-orange: combines with pale-yellow, olive, brown, cherry
- Yellow: combines with blue, lilac, light-cyan, violet, gray, black
- Lemon-yellow: combines with cherry-red, brown, blue, grey
- Pale-yellow: combines with fuchsia, gray, brown, shades of red, yellowish brown, blue, purple
- Golden yellow: combines with grey, brown, azure, red, black
- Olive: combines with orange, light-brown, brown
- Green: combines with golden-brown, orange, salad green, yellow, brown, gray, cream, black
- Salad green: combines with brown, yellowish-brown, fawn, gray, dark-blue, red
- Turquoise: combines with fuchsia, cherry-red, yellow, brown, cream, dark-violet
- Cyan: combines with red, gray, brown, orange, pink, white, yellow
- Dark-blue: combines with light-lilac, cyan, yellowish-green, brown, gray, pale-yellow, orange, green
- Lilac: combines with orange, pink, dark-violet, olive, gray, yellow, white
- Dark-violet: combines with golden-brown, pale-yellow, gray, turquoise, mint green, light-orange
- Black is a universal colour - it looks elegant in any combination, especially with orange, pink, salad green, white, red, mauvish, or yellow.